Friday, July 16, 2010

Letter to a Nephew, 1989


All for Jesus through Mary


Jan. 30, 1989


Dear Buzz,


Being a shut-in for the past 4 months and a half gave me a lot of time to pray, think and read. One thought that came to me was the day of my celebration. You asked me a question and also that I should write my story, so here it is, both my life and the answer to your question about our belief.


I was born on March 2, 1911 at Continental #3, a coal mining town in the area of Uniontown, Pa. I was baptized on March 12, 1911 at St. Mary’s Church in Uniontown, my parents are August Salitrik and Anna Bežila.


We were 7 children in all, August, Mary (she died when she was about 1 month old), John, Julia, Gertrude, Elmer and William. My father was god-father to a boy named Tommy Ondercin. His mother died in childbirth and his father about 4 years later, so my father brought him home from the funeral and he lived with us from about the age of 5 until he was 18.


My father worked in the coal mines at Continental #3 and then bought a house in Uniontown on Cycle Street. I don’t remember the year but I must have been about 5 when the move took place. Cycle Street was an open field so looks like my father took advantage so we had hogs, chickens, geese, dog, cats and a cow. Your dad [Buzz’s father, August Salitrik, Jr.] had rabbits. We had all of these animals until the people started moving in. We got rid of everything by the cow. We had her until 1938.


[Note written on back of the document by Gertrude Ann Yesho: “I remember going to 4 Cycle St. as a kid and they still had a cow and chickens—that would have been in the mid- to late-1940s.]


My father was hurt in the mine, so he started a shoe repair shop on Connellsville Street. It wasn’t a big business but we all helped by having a Victory garden, etc.


I went to St. Mary’s Parochial School and North Union High School. I would say that I had a happy childhood, there were a number of children on the hill, so we played hide-and-seek, jumped rope, played jacks and hopscotch, etc. Picked flowers and sang on the hill.


After high school, which was the Depression years, it was hard to find a job, but I did work with my sister in a credit store, she was the bookkeeper for Mundel company and I helped in that department—first part-time, then pretty steady.


I did like a boy, but after going with him for some time and getting to know him better I wasn’t that interested. Here I must admit that I was always more inclined to the religious life. I did go to some dance but after every one I would say “There must be something better.”


I didn’t want to teach school like the sisters that taught me so for a while I was confused. Anyway, one Sunday I picked up the Sunday Visitor, there was this ad telling about these sisters that taught religion to public school children. I always did enjoy religion classes, so I thought I would give that a try. So I wrote to Victory Noll, was accepted and left home on August 30, 1938. Your dad [Augie] Elmer and Jewell took me to Victory Noll.


So……I am not sorry for the choice, for me it was the best thing and I have never regretted it, even if I had my leg broken after 50 years. I have enjoyed all of the places that I worked in and I have had a lot of opportunities for many things so….I am most grateful.


Now…..I sincerely believe that that Catholic Church is the most sensible church. It is not hard to live in our church. It is human so we know that mistakes were made. But what to believe is not changed. What we believe is contained in the creed that we recite in Church at Mass. Besides us, most Christian religions (Lutheran, Episcopalian, etc.) have this belief. Anyone who calls themselves Christian believes in God and that He sent us His Son to teach us how to live. Some people do a better job of this than Catholics, so in some respects there isn’t too much difference in religions, only that we have the Sacraments to help us along. We believe that Jesus did start the Church.


Now, I don’t know if you read the Bible, but if you don’t and you want to start it would be a good idea to start with the New Testament. The Old Testament contains the life of the people before Jesus came, the people were living like some of the people are today, so He came to change all of that. However, I do think that the Psalms and proverbs are very inspiring. Jesus was promised in the Old Testament and He did come. To make this short, we have the basis for our belief in the Bible.


Nowhere does the Bible refer to the reincarnation. We believe that we are born, live, do our share of work, then receive our reward. That is what happened to Jesus and that is what happens to us.


I did meet a colored lady who believes in the reincarnation, she believes that before she was what she is, she was Mary Magdalene. I asked her how she cam up with that. She said because she knows all about the Holy Land. I don’t think that is a good proof, but I didn’t change her mind. I don’t know how Mary Magdalene likes that.


We did read Shirley MacLaine’s article, looks like she does have a following. Personally, I can’t see the basis of her teaching. Anyway, it did cause a lot of discussion. I know that is does come up (that is, reincarnation) every once in a while but we do believe what the Church teaches. I don’t know if this helps or not, but that is how it is.


I think that one of the courses that I took was Religions of the World. I found the Jewish the most interesting. As you know, our religion is based on the Jewish. Jesus was a Jew. Someone in the class asked the Rabbi what they [Jews] thought of Jesus. He answered, “We think of him as a local boy who did good.” They do regard him as a prophet but are still waiting for something better than Jesus brought.


The Hindus do believe in reincarnation, but even Gandhi was doubtful. So there it is, Buzz. We do have Faith, so we’d just better live by this Faith. I don’t know how much this will help, but I tried.


I better run along now. We had a big snowstorm on Saturday. We have a lot of it around but the sun is doing a good job of melting.


Don’t work too hard and keep the Faith. You won’t be sorry. I remain,


Prayerfully,


Sister Gertrude

No comments:

Post a Comment